Cobweb is off the blocking pins and done! Once again, I'm too lazy to actually put in the photos, so here are some links
. The shiny stuff in the first two photos is some foam insulation board that I bought instead of actual knitters' blocking board 'cause I was cheap, and blocking on the family bed is not an option. (I have since obtained a futon that I could technically use, but it still seems less than ideal.)
So I bought three skeins of that lovely, soft Madil Kid Seta in that silver-grey color when I started this thing, back in August '04. (Yes, I've been working on it that long. No, I haven't been working on it continually
for that long.) I don't remember when I ran out of the first one. I ran out of the second one with perhaps six yards left just before the edging started - and then I couldn't find the third skein
. I turned my stash boxes upside-down, I plowed through every bag and bin that had anything yarn-related in it - it just wasn't there. Finally I decided I was misremembering getting the third skein, and berated myself for making such a n00b error as to underbuy yarn. I returned to the LYS where I'd bought it, hoping to myself that getting the wrong dye lot wouldn't be so terrible if it were just the edging - and discovered that they no longer carry Kid Seta at all. (They had two lonely little balls of it in a cranberry-red, and that was it. Mind you, they weren't clearancing it out; they're too cheap for that. They just hadn't ordered any more in months, and didn't plan to ever do so again.) So I picked up a ball of Rowan Kidsilk Haze in a color that was pretty close, but not close enough that it looked like I was just color-blind and couldn't see that they were different. It's a soft grey, too, but it's a golden-grey. In natural light, the effect of the rim of one around the body of the other faintly resembles sunlight from behind a fluffy cloud. It's pretty, although not what I had planned for. Unfortunately, the Rowan yarn has a distinctly different texture, despite identical fiber content - it's noticeably pricklier and less flowing. Maybe their silk content is scroopier or something.
I had about a third of the applied i-cord left to go when I found the last ball of the Kid Seta sitting in one of my stash boxes. On top of two balls of Berocco Suede, which I know I took out when I was looking for it. In its original bag with the receipt. I blame gremlins. :-/
Anyway, it's done, and I have a skein of really nice yarn and about two-thirds of s skein of very fluffy but slightly prickly yarn left over, which I need to figure out what to do with.
Edit: I mentioned this somewhere in a previous post, but in the interest of giving credit where it's due, many thanks to the lovely emmacrew
for the pattern! *yay!*